When it comes to home improvement projects, such as maintenance, remember to think safety first. If you need a ladder to reach every part of your window while cleaning, take precautions. Have someone hold the ladder, and wear shoes that support balance and stability. When working with primers, paints, stains, and cleaning solutions, wear protective eyewear and clothing, and be sure to follow all manufacturer’s instructions for safe use and disposal.
- Soak the glass surface with clean water to loosen dirt and debris
- Make sure there are no abrasive particles on the glass
- Apply an approved cleaning solution, or mild soap, with a non-abrasive cloth
- Quickly remove the cleaning solution with a rubber squeegee, taking care not to allow metal parts of cleaning equipment to touch the glass surface
- Wipe remaining traces of cleaning solution from glass and other parts of the window and frame to avoid deterioration from dampness
- Remember to remove labels and adhesive residue from the glass as soon as possible after installation
- Use an approved cleaning solution if a label is hard to remove